From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 2:28 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: EN 61000-3-3 compliant heater controller

I read in !emc-pstc that Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote
(in <20020121193650.LDSV11289.femail7.sdc1.sfba.home.com@[65.11.150.27]>
) about 'EN 61000-3-3 compliant heater controller', on Mon, 21 Jan 2002:

>I have some questions which are just for my own education.  I understand
Mr.
>Woodgate's comments and they make sense to me.  But I wonder why there is a
>problem in the first place.

I assumed that the lack of compliance was certain, because I have no up-
front evidence to sustain a doubt.

> I believe all power in Europe is at 200 Volts
>or higher, which makes an 800 Watt heater a four Amp device.  I don't
>believe inrush on a heater is greatly in excess of steady-state current,

Suppose, just as an example, it's an 800 W IR lamp, used as a heater?

>therefore the mechanism is switching a four Amp load on and off every few
>minutes.  Why is this a problem requiring specification control in the
first
>place?

Because lamp flicker is a disturbance that worries people and they often
complain to the electricity suppliers. Some elderly people get very
worried about the supply breaking down or causing a fire.

The reference single-phase supply impedance used for IEC/EN61000-3-3 is
0.47 ohms (actually 0.4 + j0.25 ohms). So switching a 4 A load causes a
dmax (maximum relative voltage drop, based on 230 V) of 0.8%. That is
not likely to result in a Pst or Plt failure to comply, so there IS
something we don't know - maybe a high inrush current or a faulty
measurement.

After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!