I measured impedances of 15 - 25 Ohms.  The separation between twisted
shielded pair center conductor(s) and shield is the thickness of the center
conductors' insulation - very thin.  This makes the capacitance higher than
for 50 Ohm coax.  At the same time the close proximity of center conductors
and shield reduces the inductance, relative to 50 Ohm coax, and since the
impedance is the square root of the ratio of inductance by capacitance, it
seems clear to me that the impedance has to be lower than 50 Ohms.  But the
impedance is not the major issue here.  How am I getting so much loss in the
very thin conductor insulation?  Or is there another loss mechanism of which
I am unaware?