Doug -

This was not so uncommon a few years ago.  For instance, a
rack mount computer at one time could not be UL Listed and
were only allowed to be UL Recognized Components, based on
the uncertain use environment (elevated internal rack
temperatures).  At the same time, obtaining European
certification meant the full gamut of requirements applied.
I've heard tale that TUV-R refused to issue Bauart licenses
for them.

Circa 1992 or 3, UL decided this was too onerous on
manufacturers and proposed allowing rack mounted computers
to be Listed, provided they provide adequate instructions
for installation and maximum rack ambients.  Recognition is
still an option and at the manufacturer's discretion.

All sorts of other reasons can force a product towards
Recognition, rather than Listing, most of which, I'm
confident you can envision.  Something incomplete in the
evaluation or based on a construction feature.

Among them, hard wired and without a fully compliant NEC
compliant field wiring means of connection to the supply.
Even if intended for an RAL, not meeting Code requirements
can spell doom.  (You didn't mention the intended supply
wiring method.)

Do the CofAs not contain anything unusual?

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager
Sanmina-SCI Homologation Services