Hi Doug,
I have seen this recently on another cord connected power supply, like you
use on a laptop, and I wondered about that too. I am speculating, but it
may be that the product was approved before TUV had NRTL status i North
America, thus an approval by an OSHA/SCC accredited third party was
required to sell it in North America. It could also be that it was done for
marketing reasons, in which case we know there  is absolutely no logical
reason why.

Regards

Doug

"Doug McKean" <dmck...@corp.auspex.com>@majordomo.ieee.org on 10/09/2002