The most likely reason I can think of is that some companies "demand" either a UL or TUV mark specifically hence the dual marking. I knew of one company that would accept a test report only from a specific laboratory.

Both UL and TUV are NRTLs. It is also possible that TUV met some specific European credibility in a specific place. I also believe, but am not entirely sure, that products for use in restricted locations is a UL workaround not generally compliant with EN Standards and not generally available for CE Marked products. Other than the differences between listings and R/C status and compliance variations thereto, it is strange. However, a company CAN obtain both a listing and a recognized component on the same product to suit their own purposes.

Comments?

Warren Birmingham

On Wednesday, Oct 9, 2002, at 09:42 US/Pacific, soundsu...@aol.com wrote:

From Doug McKean:

> [...]

Why would a mfr get a UL recognition approval for a commercial
ITE style single phase 155-230vac computer style product but for
that same product get the TUV "GS" mark?

Mfr is a stateside company.

Product to be used in restricted areas with trained personnel only.
But, one that essentially anyone could buy.

What's the advantage of getting such a mixed set of approvals?

It's not really a mixed set of approvals.  UL must have considered the device to be incomplete in some way (does it have an enclosure?), therefore they Recognized it as a component as opposed to Listing it as a finished product.  The GS Mark has no mechanism for delineating between components and finished products - both can receive GS approval.  Hence the TUV GS mark.

That's my guess, based on the limited information you gave.

Greg Galluccio
www.productapprovals.com