I read in !emc-pstc that Colgan, Chris <chris.col...@tagmclaren.com>
wrote (in <AE0F4BD08FEAD211895900805FE67B1F01090F0D@CAT>) about 'product
modifications by the end user', on Tue, 19 Mar 2002:

>Just say someone in your marketing department came up with the bright idea
>of selling upgrade kits to an unqualified, untrained end user that involved
>removing the top cover of a product.  In the process not only would the
>victim be exposed to hazardous voltages (if the product was still connected
>to the mains) but he/she would also have to wire up mains connections.
>There would also be a possibility that critical insulation would be
>disturbed.
>
>Apart from telling them that they were mad and suggesting that someone could
>be killed or seriously injured, would there be any black and white
>legislation that you could use to help bin this idea?  I can't find anything
>specific in EN60065 or the LVD.

You wouldn't find such a detailed matter in a well-written new-style
Directive. In the EN, (1998 edition) it's in the first sentence of 8.4,
if you can get the top off without using a tool, and the first sentence
of 9.1.1 if you need a tool to get it off, but instruct the user to use
a tool. Operation with the cover off then becomes a 'normal operating
condition' under 4.2 and the product would be tested with the cover off
as well as on.

I agree that the EN is not very specific on this issue, and that is
because no-one envisaged that any manufacturer would be daft enough to
advise the user to use a tool to take the cover off!

If your marketroid persists, I'll take the issue to the committee
meeting in April and get a definite interpretation.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!