Chris,

Every set of existing rules has an "intent", to be achieved by
following the "letter" of the rules.  Personally, I always consider
meeting the intent far superior to meeting the letter of rules.
Example, the letter of the law says we must stop at stop signs before
proceeding.  The intent is to avoid "accidents".  We all know that
sometimes we must exceed the rules, i.e. defensive driving, because
the situation demands it.  We also know that if the stop sign is in
the middle of a desert, and we can see 5 miles in all directions,
one would be meeting the intent of the law if no other cars could be
seen, an we did not stop at the sign.

The intent of IEC 60950 and like standards is to avoid personal injury
and property damage.  End users are generally considered "operators"
under the standard.  As such, they are to be reasonably prevented
from access to hazards in the equipment.  This does not mean that
the equipment must be in a welded steel box, but that tools are
required to enter hazardous areas, and the operator manual does not
direct the operator to access such areas.

The General Principles of 60950 (page 19) clearly states under
Electric Shock : "Prevent operator access to parts at hazardous voltage
by fixed or locked covers, interlocks, etc."  Page 17 indicates that
"operators" are assumed to be oblivious to electrical hazards.

When all else fails in such situations as yours, I get something in
writing indicating that my team has explained the hazards and risks,
and the the Product Manager (or other responsible party) understands
and accepts these risks.  This usually closes the issue.

George

"Colgan, Chris" <chris.colgan%tagmclaren....@interlock.lexmark.com> on
03/19/2002 07:36:09 AM

Please respond to "Colgan, Chris"