From: Mark Schmidt [mailto:mschm...@xrite.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 2:17 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Laser Safety

I am trying to gain a better understanding of lasers and I have had some
discussion and been told some things that don’t make much sense to me so
I am asking the group for some guidance. Here is my question.

If the unexpanded raw beam of a Class III b laser was incorporated into
a larger system, is then expanded and used in this same system reducing
the beam intensity to Class I levels. Would the overall system be
classified as Class I ?

Thanks.

Mark Schmidt
Regulatory Compliance