From: Luke Turnbull [mailto:luke.turnb...@trw.com]
Sent: 02 January 2003 09:22
To: <
Subject: Re: Changes to IEEE emc-pstc web-based services

This won't work.  If you want to look at how badly online forums work, look
at the IEE website.

Maybe one of the group can set up a list server elsewhere if the IEEE is
sure it wants to stop the service.

Luke Turnbull.

>>> Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> 12/31/02 06:19pm >>>

Effective today, we are replacing our web-based services.

    Old:  http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/
    New:  https://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc

The archive has been moved to the new web site, but is
not yet up and running.  We'll keep you posted as to when
we have it available.

This new site does not have listserver capability.

However, it does send personal e-mail notices (daily,
weekly, or monthly) when a discussion item has been
posted to the site.  The notice includes a link directly
to that specific posting.

Furthermore, you can select the discussions which are
of interest to you (as opposed to getting all discussion
items).

When a message is posted to the site, the system will
notify the poster as to replies, and will notify all members
that the posting has been made.

The web-based service offers opportunity for posting of
papers and similar items.  The site already has a few
contributions, some of which were moved from the old
site.  We'd like to see an electronic version of the old
"Product Safety Newsletter" that had so many good
technical papers and news.  We feel this e-community
is a good step to the formation of the Product Safety
Society.  (You'll find news and listings of officers and
chapters on this site.)

Please check out the new web-based service.  We call
it an "e-community."  At the moment, if you want to
participate in this e-community, please contact either
of us Rich Nute or Jim Bacher, or Marilyn Catis at IEEE,
mg.ca...@ieee.org.  (One of us needs to subscribe you
to the e-community.)  To the extent that we can, we'd
like to move our activity to the web rather than use the
listserver.

If you have difficulty connecting to the site, or if you have
comments, please contact either of us, or Marilyn Catis.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Richard Nute
Jim Bacher
co-administrators, IEEE emc-pstc forums

Replies to this message may be posted in the following public forum:
Change in emc-pstc web-based services
(http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/direct/topic/a/ID547374)

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the WorldCom Internet Managed
Scanning Service - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit
http://www.worldcom.com

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the WorldCom Internet Managed
Scanning Service - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit
http://www.worldcom.com

Title: RE: Changes to IEEE emc-pstc web-based services

Luke
I sympathise with people with dial up connections and would be sorry to see
the loss of these contributors. However, there is a Yahoo group called
EMC-PSTC that was formed in 1998.
Is there any way that this could be used?
I have attached a link.

Thanks
Ian Gordon

This won't work.  If you want to look at how badly online forums work, look
at the IEE website.

Maybe one of the group can set up a list server elsewhere if the IEEE is
sure it wants to stop the service.

Luke Turnbull.

>>> Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> 12/31/02 06:19pm >>>

Effective today, we are replacing our web-based services.

    Old:  http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/
    New:  https://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc

The archive has been moved to the new web site, but is
not yet up and running.  We'll keep you posted as to when
we have it available.

This new site does not have listserver capability.

However, it does send personal e-mail notices (daily,
weekly, or monthly) when a discussion item has been
posted to the site.  The notice includes a link directly
to that specific posting.

Furthermore, you can select the discussions which are
of interest to you (as opposed to getting all discussion
items).

When a message is posted to the site, the system will
notify the poster as to replies, and will notify all members
that the posting has been made.

The web-based service offers opportunity for posting of
papers and similar items.  The site already has a few
contributions, some of which were moved from the old
site.  We'd like to see an electronic version of the old
"Product Safety Newsletter" that had so many good
technical papers and news.  We feel this e-community
is a good step to the formation of the Product Safety
Society.  (You'll find news and listings of officers and
chapters on this site.)

Please check out the new web-based service.  We call
it an "e-community."  At the moment, if you want to
participate in this e-community, please contact either
of us Rich Nute or Jim Bacher, or Marilyn Catis at IEEE,
mg.ca...@ieee.org.  (One of us needs to subscribe you
to the e-community.)  To the extent that we can, we'd
like to move our activity to the web rather than use the
listserver.

If you have difficulty connecting to the site, or if you have
comments, please contact either of us, or Marilyn Catis.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Richard Nute
Jim Bacher
co-administrators, IEEE emc-pstc forums

Replies to this message may be posted in the following public forum:
Change in emc-pstc web-based services
(http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/direct/topic/a/ID547374)

     Ron Pickard:              emc-p...@hypercom.com
     Dave Heald:               davehe...@attbi.com