Rick,

Another method you may want to pursue is using a multiple channel datalogger
and current shunts.  The datalogger can be set to scan every second or
quicker, and can monitor multiple channels at once, so you can see the
current peaks for each voltage separately, and can show over time what the
"average" current draw would be.
The units I've used are the Fluke Hydra databucket and the HP/Agilent
34970A.  Personally, I prefer the Agilent because of the software that came
with it, although I haven't used a fluke that was purchased this century.
They may have improved the interface since the version I've used.
I'm sure any other voltage-measuring datalogger will work, just a matter of
taste.

In answer to your actual question, I don't believe a "true RMS" meter will
give you a broad enough time span to measure DC amps over the time it takes
for a motherboard to boot and run through various processes.  Besides,
doesn't the "true rms" only apply to the AC setting?  I've never tried to
use one for your type of application.

Hope it helps,
Sam