I have been asked by my TUV office to measure the actual output current
for each of the 5-7 voltages on my PC power supplies. The purpose of
this is to baseline the maximum output current in terms of maximum
power, not instantaneous current, for each of the various motherboards
we use.

On the surface it seemed like a simple exercise of putting a DC current
meter in series with each of the outputs. Given that the current demand
for each of these outputs is dynamic, corresponding with the processing
activity, does it make sense to measure this output current with a True
RMS meter?

If this is the case, I would assume that the True RMS meter takes the
measurement based on some type of a time weighted average or sample
time. Do any of you have a feel for how this is calculated?

How do manufacturers of these PC supplies address the maximum output
current ratings for each voltage. Does this rating take into account
PEAK demands for current (or over current)?

Thanks

Rick Busche
Evans & Sutherland
rbus...@es.com