From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bill Owsley
Sent: 13 June 2006 17:23
To: Grace Lin; Bob Richards
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: RF Power Amplifiers

*** WARNING ***

The harmonic content mentioned adds quite a bit to the measured field strength.
As the harmonics are filtered out (a lower level), the field strength drops,
so the drive and/or output power is boosted to get the field strength back up,
 and the harmonic content rises faster than the fundamental, so more filter is
added and more power added, and soon there is one BIG power amp required to
get the field strength at the fundamental without the harmonics.  ps.  If the
device being tested has a receiver, the harmonic energy can provide some
distracting results at unexpected times. ie. The 420 MHz rcvr fails (cannot
receive) at 105 MHz. Immunity test freq. pps. The receiver under test was good
for -100 dB signals so the harmonics had to rather low to not swamp out the
intended signal.

Grace Lin <graceli...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Thank you very much for many members who has replied online and offline.  I
value your expert comments.  So far, I have learned that antenna's VSWR, cable
loss (at high frequency), and 80% AM modulation are the factors to count on.
The new requirements from the third edition of IEC61000-4-3 are important
factors too.

Many members suggest to choose an amplifier triple times' power as calculated
(i.e. 500W for 80-1000MHz), which I agree with.  However, two sales
representatives from two amplifier manufacturers suggest a 150W for
80-1000MHz.  I get lost.

Kindest regards,
Grace