Bob Richards <b...@toprudder.com> wrote:

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Richards <b...@toprudder.com>
Subject: Re: RF Power Amplifiers
To: Grace Lin <graceli...@gmail.com>

I don't believe that formula takes into account the need for 80% amplitude
modulation. This will require 5.1dB (about 3.3 times) more power. Other
factors, such as room performance and cable losses, need to be taken into
consideration as well.

Also take into account the need to prevent gain compression, a new requirement
in the latest 1000-4-3 standard (always a good idea, now it is explicitly
stated). This will require a more powerful amp.

It has been my experience that for 80v/m at 3m distance, 500w is a minimum at
80 MHz. This depends to some extent on how high the power can go before gain
compression, some amps are better than others.

At 80 MHz, there is no magic antenna. :-)  Once you get above 200 MHz, there
are some large horn antennas that are better than log periodics, but you have
to be careful of beamwidth. An antenna with better factors usually means the
power is better focused in the desired direction, but this comes at a cost of
beamwidth. Also, as you move up in frequency, the power required by the
antenna will drop, and the VSWR match of the antenna stays pretty good.
However, the cable losses increase at higher frequencies, use good cables and
keep them short.

A typical lab setup might include a 500 watt amp for 80-200 MHz, and 100w from
200 to 1000 MHz. If you run out of power, you can move the antenna closer (up
to 1M from the EUT).

For the conducted immunity, 75w is sufficient for tests that I have done with
CDNs and EM clamps. If you are required to use a bulk-current injection probe,
you might need more power.

Bob Richards, NCT.

Grace Lin <graceli...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Group Members,

Please help me to determine specification for RF power amplifiers for
61000-4-3 and 61000-4-6 tests.

I found an equation to calculate power required (ETS-Lindgren Antenna Catalog,
page 71):

PdB(W)      = 20 log10 (Edesired(V/m)) +20 log10 (d m) – 20 log10 (fMHz)
+AFdB(m-1) +15

Based on this equation, my calculated results are:

For 10V/m @ 3m at 80MHz by using ETS-Lindgren 3149 antenna: P(W) = 111.7018
For 10V/m @ 3m at 80MHz by using Schaffner CBL 6140 antenna: P(W) = 22.2874

For 10V/m @ 3m at 1000MHz by using ETS-Lindgren 3149 antenna: P(W) = 12.0016
For 10V/m @ 3m at 1000MHz by using Schaffner CBL 6140 antenna:   P(W) = 7.1489

For 10V/m @ 3m at 1GHz by using ETS-Lindgren 3115 antenna: P(W)   = 7.1489
For 10V/m @ 3m at 4GHz by using ETS-Lindgren 3115 antenna: P(W)    = 4.4681

Do these mean that a 150 watts amplifier is enough for the frequency range
80MHz-1000NHz, and a 10 watts' is enough for the frequency range 1-4GHz?   Is
a 75 watts' good enough for 61000-4-6 test?  Is there any other factors, such
as cable loss, etc., that I have to include in the calculation?   The
measuring system will include a dual directional coupler and a power meter.

I have received different recommended specifications.   Different
specifications mean different prices.   The price difference is huge between
wattages.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Grace Lin
Crestron Electronics, Inc.
New Jersey, USA
www.crestron.com <http://www.crestron.com/>  -
is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list.
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org
For policy questions, send mail to:
Jim Bacher: j.bac...@ieee.org David Heald: emc-p...@daveheald.com