In message
<be3336be85968d49be01e66d6e365b1e01b59...@sjc1amfpew01.am.sanm.corp>,
dated Tue, 13 Mar 2007, "Tarver, Peter" <peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com>
writes:

>Or maybe there's a mathematical reason that hasn't occurred to me, like
>some arithmetic progression, or even simple phobias or prejudices.

Ah, you youngsters! (Strokes long, white beard.)

It's based on geometric progression and it's about selling all the parts
you make, with the fewest nominal values, even if the process results in
a wide spread of values. It's simplest to explain if we go back to the
agricultural tolerances on component values of 50 years and more ago.
Then, the closest sensible tolerance available on carbon composition
resistor values was +/-10%. +/- 5% parts were available, but values
tended to drift with age more than that.

OK, so a 1 k resistor could be as high as 1.1 k. If that is also the
lowest limit for the next nominal value, that nominal value is 1.22 k,
rounded to 1.2 k. And the next is 1.2 x 1.1/0.9 = 1.47 k, rounded to 1.5
k. The next is 1.8 k, and then 2.2 k, but if you carry on too far in
that way, you find anomalies; a ratio of 1.2 gives values lower than the
actual '10%' series, while 1.22 gives higher values. The reasons are
often disputed, and I'm not going there, thank you.

Another way of looking at it is that successive values are multiplied by
the 12th root of 10, 1.211.., but that doesn't fit exactly, either.

But you can now see the basic principle.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com