From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of
pat.law...@slpower.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:05 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [PSES] IEC 60950-1 Ed. 2 Class A Pluggable equipment and
VDR bridging basic insulation.

I found this in UL 60950, clause 1.5.9.1:

-- quote ---
If a surge suppressor is used in a PRIMARY CIRCUIT, it shall be a VDR
and
it shall comply with Annex Q.
NOTE 1 A VDR is sometimes referred to as a varistor or a metal oxide
varistor (MOV). Devices such as gas discharge tubes, carbon
blocks and semiconductor devices with non-linear voltage/current
characteristics are not considered as VDRs in this standard.
--- end quote ---

This sounds like it prevents the use of VDR/gas discharge tube
combinations to limit primary-to-earth line surges, or gas discharge
tubes
in the primary completely.  Is this correct?
I'll bet the gas tube companies are having heartburn over this.

Pat Lawler
EMC Engineer
SL Power Electronics Corp.

ri...@ieee.org wrote on 12/15/2010 12:05:18 PM:
> On 12/15/2010 11:41, Kunde, Brian wrote:
> > Does it make VDRs safer to use them in series with a gas-tube like
some
> > do with Varistors?

> Hi Brian:

> Yes.

> Today, this is the trend among manufacturers that
> want to use a VDR between mains and earth.

> And, TC108 is still trying to sort out the requirements
> for both devices in such a circuit.

> Best wishes for a Merry Christmas,
> Rich

> -
> This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society
> emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your
> e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>

> http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/
> Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to
that
URL.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html