        From: Derek Walton [mailto:lfresea...@aol.com]
        Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 12:58 PM
        To: Lothar Schmidt
        Cc: Fred Townsend; Tang, George; IEEE EMC Discussion Group
        Subject: Re: Another Cancer Scare?

        Not wanting to appear silly, or spread rumors, but some of the thinking
        behind the potential for EM cancers was explained to me as follows:

        Cancers are mutant forms of normal cells. Such mutations occur when the
        cell reproduces. That process is more likely in the young, or where
        tissues are repairing. This is separate from cell damage through heating
        most often being considered when power levels are discussed.

        Part of the reproduction process is un-encoding the cell structure from
        the DNA, and that is influenced by fields which if great enough cause
        non intended cell structure. Usually the fields are magnetic because
        they penetrate deeper into skin tissue.

        Exposing non developing cells to fields would obviously never exhibit
        problems. A huge level of research to date has done just that...

        Other research is specifically looking at the influence on developing
        cells, I'm not sure yet how much of that is public domain.

        Again, I stress this comes from an aging guy... I may be remembering
        incorrectly, or understood the explanation wrong.

        We live in interesting times.

        Cheers,

        Derek Walton
        L F Research

        Lothar Schmidt wrote:

                Just for clarification,

                Cell phones with GSM technology transmit with 2W burst power @
850MHz
                and with 1W burst power @1900 MHz

                CDMA and WCDMA technology uses 200mW output power.

                Regarding the influence of cell phones to a human being. My
opinion
                is, that there are millions of cell phones used for so many
years by a
                huge number of people and many of them seem to have the phone
glued to
                the ear.

                If there is any impact we should have seen a significant
increase in
                certain areas like cancer. This didn't happen therefore I
believe the
                influence is close to none.

                Best Regards

                *Lothar Schmidt**
                *Director Regulatory & Antenna Services

                *CETECOM Inc.*
                411 Dixon Landing Road
                Milpitas, CA 95035

                Phone +1 (408) 586 6214
                Fax +1 (408) 586 6299
                email lothar.schm...@cetecomusa.com
                <mailto:lothar.schm...@cetecomusa.com>
<mailto:lothar.schm...@cetecomusa.com>

                //This e-mail may contain proprietary, privileged and
confidential
                information for the sole use of the named intended recipient.
Any
                review or distribution of this e-mail by any party other than
the
                intended recipient or that person's agent is strictly
prohibited. If
                you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and
                immediately contact the sender. You must not, directly or
indirectly,
                use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
message if
                you are not the intended recipient.//