In message <c5557365.32493%ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, dated Fri, 28
Nov 2008, Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> writes:

>For instance, we control RE at three meters so that at typical BCB
>reception levels, we have clear reception. That is EMC.  If we move the
>culprit emitter closer to the radio receiver than three meters we no
>longer have a legitimate expectation of clear reception.

Agreed: the effect of this distance factor is almost entirely not
mentioned in EMC standards.

>With this sloppy terminology, rife in the commercial world, we are
>raising a generation of EMC engineers who have no clue why they do what
>they do, other than they have to meet some legal requirement before
>marketing a product.

Similarly with safety.

>It is bad enough that I have seen in this forum otherwise well-regarded
>engineers claiming that radiated emission requirements are there to
>protect all electronics from interference, as opposed to radio
>receivers, which are the sole victim protected by radiated emission
>limits.

That's not entirely true. IEC SC77C deals with immunity of the
electrical infrastructure to high-energy phenomena, and one could
consider the work on protection against lighting also to be EMC work.

In addition, CENELEC has just started to look at the subject. A recent
committee Minute reads:

The committee considered the wording of a questionnaire to National
Committees on the adequacy of current EMC standards for the protection
of non-radio communication services [yes, that's ambiguous, but I think
it means 'services other than radio communication services'], and agreed
the content in principle. The committee has asked its Working Group to
prepare the final wording, prior to circulation.

>Non-antenna-connected electronics don?t require that level of
>protection.

That is generally true, but some medical equipment and scientific
instruments are exceptions.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>