The FDA not withstanding,  any "determined" nimrod with a credit card
and the "here-hold-my-beer"  mentality can purchase a potentially
harmful laser online (class IV).

But a gallon of gasoline or a pound of gunpowder in the hands of a
teenaged kid thinking he's going to make a Molotov cocktail or fireworks
could be far worse; and that stuff is picked up most anywhere.

A more similar case could be made that garage built Telsa coils are
dangerous.  For those of us who know what we are doing (either for
technical or entertainment purposes) there limited risk of danger.  But
some fella with only a high school electrical wiring class, internet
instructions, and more money than brains.....anything is bound to
happen.

I'm with Derek on this,  there is little you can do to regulate
stupidity;  but there is no need to interfere with a legitimate
hobbyist?

Dave Spencer
EMC Engineer
Xerox Corp.