On 25 Mar 2009 at 23:17, Ron Pickard, RPQ wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Further to what Joe has stated below, according to IEC
> 60950-1 an ethernet interface circuit is generally
> characterized as an SELV circuit, but must also be
> considered a TNV-1 circuit if it is subject to overvoltages
> (atmospheric conditions).

Per one UL PAG, TNV classification does not apply, if the
installation instructions state that the PoE system
conductors do not allow such exposure; meaning they they
remain indoors.

> You might also want to read
> through CENELEC CLC/TR 62102 (replaced ETSI EG 201212)
> entitled "Electrical safety - Classification of interfaces
> for equipment to be connected to information and
> communications technology networks"

Absolutely.  I have recommended to some TC 108 members that
TR 62102 be updated to include PoE.  As of my last check
(~FEB2008), it did not.

> Although with that said, LPS may more likely be more of a
> customer requirement rather than regulatory, whereby there
> should be an adequate selection of LPS and non-LPS PoE
> invertors. LPS selection should depend on a customer's
> specific requirements and the specific application. IMHO,
> for a safer installation, LPS PoE injectors should be
> considered.

There may be a semantic issue involved here.  The 1.3 A
limit I mentioned previously applies at the PoE output of
the product (e.g., the modular jack), not at the power
supply's output.  I just wanted to be clear about that.

Peter Tarver
ptar...@ieee.org

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>