I don't have any clearer answer than those already been given by Lauren Crane
and William Brown, but a couple of points occur which may be grist to the mill.

Firstly, I suspect that the original intention of including wording in the
Directive to restrict the use of other marks has, at least in part, grown from
the New Legislative Framework requirement intended to protect the CE mark, and
so the intention was not to outlaw other marks per-se, but was to outlaw other
marks which might be confused with (and taken to mean the same as) a legitimate
CE mark.

Secondly, and somewhat less conjecturally, the UK enforcement authority turned
out to be spectacularly wrong in their interpretation of at least one aspect of
the old Directive (the large scale industrial tools exemption) and so I'd be
inclined to take anything else they say with a pinch of salt as well.

Nick.