From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ken Javor
Sent: 27. juni 2013 06:08
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Conductive plastic

Forum members:

Am looking for a conductive plastic of such composition that the
conductivity is uniform throughout the material, as opposed to a
non-conductive exterior surrounding an inner core of dispersed conductive
materials.  Neither am I looking for some sort of deposited layer of
conductive material.

Many years ago, 3M demonstrated such a material at a few EMC Symposia. The
demo consisted of a small plastic box with a lid that was large enough to
fully contain a chattering relay. With the chattering relay in the box minus
the lid and near a small AM radio, it tore up AM reception, but gently
putting the lid on it (no fasteners per my recollection) was enough to kill
the interference completely.

My recollection is that 3M did not go into production with that material,
else I would be looking for it there.

The need is for a small conductive enclosure for harsh environments where a
layer of deposited conductive material is undesirable. Further, I do not
want a manufacturing process that requires laborious removal of the outer
insulating material where the sides of the box overlap and need to make a
conductive seam.

I am willing to give up quite a bit of conductivity relative to a deposited
layer of metal or metallic coating in order to get this magical homogenously
conductive material.

Any one know of anything like this, or is it unobtainium?

Thank you,

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/ can be used for graphics (in