In the eyes of the new legislative framework (and other legislation groups),
retailers are the same as distributors (or at least a retailer is a type of
distributor). A specific natural or legal person might be a couple economic
operators. It is possible to be both a manufacture and a distributor, for
example.

Many Commission discussions of the NLF use a phrase like "....distributors
(including retailers)...."

Sometimes "retailer" is an exact substitute for "distributor" (rather than a
subset). For example, regarding battery legislation, this explanation from UK
guidance THE WASTE BATTERIES AND ACCUMULATORS REGULATIONS 2009 Government
Guidance Notes May 2011
"Examples of distributors are:
-- A retailer that buys packs of batteries from a UK supplier and then sells
them to end users
-- A wholesaler that buys batteries from a UK supplier and sells both to end
users and retail outlets
-- A company that supplies batteries free-of-charge as part of a promotion,
even if they do not normally sell batteries.
Examples of companies that are both distributors and producers [LC equiv. to
manufacturer in battery reg. speak] are:
-- A business that imports and places batteries on the UK market and also sell
them through their own retail outlet or network of outlets.
-- A business that has purchased batteries wholesale from a UK supplier and
then sells the batteries on to end-users would be a distributor; if that same
business also imports calculators that include batteries into the UK and also
sells these on to end-users, then the business would also be a producer of the
batteries in the calculator."

The Irish batteries regulation is written in terms of "retailer" even though
the directive is written in terms of "distributor", but actions attributed to
this economic actor (the retailer) in the Irish legislation are acts of
"distribution"

Just a guess - but I imagine a difference between a distributor and a retailer
may appear, and be significant, in regulations related to taxes, advertising,
etc...

Regards,
Lauren Crane
KLA-Tencor