From: Doug Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 9:53 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Friday Question

All

I haven't done one of these Friday questions in a few years so I thought I
would toss one out...

With the many recent updates to safety standards that the incorporate
provisions for safety risk assessment, I find the topic of misuse and
intentional misuse often comes up in RA team meetings.  My question is if there
are any valid elements within this news article that could be included in those
meetings when working with autonomous or semi-autonomous robotics?

‎http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/what-dallass-shooting-means-for-the-ethics-of-robotics/

ISO 8373 defines robot as "An automatically controlled, reprogrammable,
multipurpose manipulator programmable in three or more axes, which may be
either fixed in place or mobile for use in industrial automation applications."

Now I realize the context of the news article is not industrial and possibly
this definition needs updating.  I have had opportunity to do certification
work with unmanned aerial robots (not drones) to UL 1740 and RIA R15_06-1999,
both of which UL has had some involvement.

Any thoughts?

--

Douglas E Powell​​

doug...@gmail.com <mailto:doug...@gmail.com>