From: Doug Powell <doug...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 14:53:02 -0600
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: [PSES] Friday Question

All

I haven't done one of these Friday questions in a few years so I thought I
would toss one out...

With the many recent updates to safety standards that the incorporate
provisions for safety risk assessment, I find the topic of misuse and
intentional misuse often comes up in RA team meetings.  My question is if
there are any valid elements within this news article that could be included
in those meetings when working with autonomous or semi-autonomous robotics?

>  ‎http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/what-dallass-shooting-means-for-the-eth
> ics-of-robotics/

ISO 8373 defines robot as "An automatically controlled, reprogrammable,
multipurpose manipulator programmable in three or more axes, which may be
either fixed in place or mobile for use in industrial automation
applications."

Now I realize the context of the news article is not industrial and possibly
this definition needs updating.  I have had opportunity to do certification
work with unmanned aerial robots (not drones) to UL 1740 and RIA
R15_06-1999, both of which UL has had some involvement.

Any thoughts?

--

Douglas E Powell​​

doug...@gmail.com