Hello Scott,

This is another interesting area of law in the United States. It may be
perfectly legal to sell a product in a state while it would be illegal to
install and use the product in the same state.

Generally, the requirements are only verified in construction where a building
permit is required. In those cases, it is up to the installer to know the local
code so that they procure equipment in compliance with the local code.

Requirements are typically not enforced for plug connected equipment. A
consumer who buys a product in a store or on line would likely never have that
product checked by an inspector.

The laws of the United States generally prohibit restricting the free movement
of goods from one state to another. It is up to the purchaser to know if their
product meets local laws. Generally, there are few issues. However, there can
be. California has stricter automobile emission standards than most other
states. If you buy a car in Kentucky and then move to California, you may find
that your car can’t be registered in California. Such issues are less likely
with consumer electronics.

Ted Eckert
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.