On 1/12/2017 10:26 PM, Ken Javor wrote:
If I am qualifying a device that connects through a cable to this TV, but not
the TV itself, why would it physically have to be part of the set-up in the
test chamber? Why could it not simply be support equipment in an adjacent
chamber, providing the proper interface at the end of the cable?

When, once upon a time, firms did their own pre-FCC-test testing, we followed the FCC Part 15 rule of connecting a peripheral of each type for which a port was provided (AND maximizing emissions with cable placement).

More than once, I found CRT monitors that would cause the EUT to fail* because the modulated cathode current supporting the "bold H" pattern was returned over too large a loop.

Once in a while, we found printers radiating signals that came from the computer.

I got suggestions we test with a better printer...

It we were "righteous" about testing we would have had to select the very worst among peripherals, but all of us remember list mail asking for suggestions of "good" peripherals to test with.

Is[n't] it good we don't have to do that now?

*I once demonstrated how to make an computer "fail" CE *while turned off* with "bold H's" on a certain make of monitor nearby. Management was not amused.

Cortland Richmond

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>