On 1/13/2017 2:21 PM, Ken Javor wrote:
Why would one feel, philosophically, that it is required had to meet a limit
with a noisy peripheral? You are not responsible for the peripheral's noise
contribution, right?

One couldn't, and for the monitors, THIS one didn't have to; we didn't buy them. But the printer was radiating noise generated in our computer. I fixed THAT.

If my printer drivers are putting RF into a printer chassis, *that vendor* has no duty to shield them -- and my employer will rightly be fined for non-compliance.

The only way to be sure of compliance is to test with peripherals that will make it obvious. QED; buy the least well-shielded peripherals that still pass on their own merits.

You may remember the cable ferrite beads discussions with the FCC...

Some time around 1988, my brother's high resolution monitor was interfering with TV reception in four adjoining apartments, which I was able to fix by putting a 360-degree terminated shield over the cr*ppy video cable a local store was selling. And it was at Tandy, maybe in 1992, that I discovered a TV-tuner card could make our system fail RE when it was just passing computer video; they had poor shield terminations on their external video jumper.

Guess what? There's a discussion going on now about poorly shielded/terminated HDMI cables ... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cortland Richmond

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>