From: Pete Perkins [mailto:00000061f3f32d0c-dmarc-requ...@ieee.org]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:32 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Double Pole Mains Switches, Cord Connected Products

Scott, Mike et al,

               The single pole switch is intended to be in the line side of the
input power; in the case where the polarity is reversed, the emc components can
be powered with line voltage on both Line and  Neutral side increasing the
electric shock touch current and protective conductor current.

       Safety standards need to specify testing in both Normal and Reverse
polarity to ensure that the touch current and/or protective current is still
within the limits specified under this condition.

               Use of a double pole switch ensures that this doubling of the
touch current from the emc filter doesn’t happen.

               This same condition occurs with a single fuse in one pole of the
input circuit.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

p.perk...@ieee.org