My opinion is only the RoHS Directive should apply. But my last email from the ODM tonight says the cables have UL Approvals too, on the cable, on the connector and then flammability on the assembly. So they think that there must be some safety directive that applies (and was not tested for). They are checking with their factory (again).

On 1/4/2018 6:27 PM, Brent DeWitt wrote:

Hi Scott,

Which Directives do you think should apply?

*From:* Scott Douglas [mailto:sdouglas...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Thursday, January 04, 2018 7:00 PM
*To:* EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
*Subject:* [PSES] CE Marking HDMI Cables

I am going around with an ODM making a HDMI cable for us. Standard cable just has our brand logo molded in the connector shell. Cable is to be used with Category 4 (ITE) Equipment and is sold separately.

The question is CE Marked or not CE Marked. I say it must be CE Marked and they say not required. I have been through the directives and FAQ more than a few times and it seems black and white to me.

They say they talked to three different compliance labs, at least one of which is familiar to a lot of us on the west coast, and all say not required. They say their compliance engineers all went to the required training and they all say not required.

Am I the only one that thinks these HDMI cables need to be CE Marked? Or am I missing something? Like maybe not required today but required to be marked at some future date like 2019 maybe?

Last, assuming I am not on some good psychedelics and CE Marking is required on or for HDMI cables, can I get away with putting the CE Mark on the single unit package, like a label on the poly bag it is sealed in?

I thank everybody that helps answer the question and keeps me from consuming more of those pink pills.

Happy New Year to all.

Scott

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at: http://www.ieee-pses.org/emc-pstc.html