Hi James:

Some additional information in response to your conclusions:

*       NRTL approval legally required for selling in the USA? No.

There is no Federal law, but city, county, and state laws require NRTL.  For
example (but not limited to), City of Chicago, County of Los Angeles, and State
of Oregon all require NRTL certification of electrical products.  All consumer
products, products used in schools, and most non-consumer products.

*       NRTL / UL approval expected? Highly likely.

Expected by whom?  Ordinary consumers do not look for the certification mark.
However, many (most) retailers (especially those operating in several states)
will only sell NRTL-certified products both to protect themselves from
liability in case of an injury, and to comply with laws (as described above).

*       NRTL approval required for use in the workplace? Yes, not legally
required but market expectation? Or is it a legal requirement?

Yes, NRTL certification is required (by OSHA) for the workplace.  Note that
many workplaces include home appliances (such as kitchen appliances) and
computers.  These need to be NRTL-certified as these workplaces are subject to
OSHA.

*       Standard used: UL 62368-1

Not necessarily.  Depends on the product.

The best strategy is to have all products, including low-voltage and limited
power products, certified by a NRTL.  Then, there is no question of compliance
with laws and customer demand.

Having said that, I just looked at my new (and an older) Bluetooth mouse: no
certifications!  Same for my TV remotes.  However, an older wireless mouse
(same manufacturer) has NRTL certification.  Two of three keyboards have NRTL
certifications.  My tablet is not certified, but my laptop and (low voltage)
docking station are certified.  As an ordinary consumer, I did not look for the
certification mark on any of my electrical products.  (I did look for the
certification mark on my mains outlets devices that included USB charging
outlets.)

Best regards,

Rich