The object of fire safety is to prevent ignition in the first place.

Given that we seldom know how to do this, we assume ignition and specify
requirements for flame retardant (otherwise flammable) materials and fire
enclosures.  We assume that these measures will slow the fire growth and
maybe lead to the fire dying before it escapes the product.

Fire of any source produces toxic gasses, some visible (smoke and other
airborne particulates) and some invisible.  (This is why we have chimneys
and furnace flues, and why firefighters have breathing apparatus.)
Depending on the material, some gasses are more toxic (poisonous) than
others.  The fact that flame-retardant chemicals decompose and are given off
as gas and particulates is slightly more dangerous to breathe in than the
other combustion gasses and particulates.

Best regards,

Rich