From: Dürrer Bernd <bernd.duer...@wilo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:34 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] AW: [PSES] Do We Need Flame Retardants in Electronics?

Hello Richard,

Thank you for sharing this interesting article. I remember from the Grenfell
Tower fire discussion on this list, that Adam Dixon shared this UK data source
for incidents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/fire-statistics-data-tables

This also includes statistics on the cause of fire:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/fire-statistics-data-tables#cause-of-fire

As can be seen, cooking appliances, space heating appliances, central and water
heating appliances, electrical distribution, and other electrical appliances
are primary causes of fire. Therefore, the use of flame-retardants, especially
in appliances intended for unattended operation, is more than justified by
available data.

In addition, the author of the article neglects that electronic components
(much more than wooden furniture) contain other potentially harmful substances
(when released to the environment) that are not related to fire prevention.
Typically, these are contained in larger proportion in electronics than
flame-retardants. So banning flame-retardants will only partly reduce
environmental risks by increasing the risk of ignition. At least for electronic
components, I do not support the claim that "companies typically do not share
information on which flame retardants they use": To comply with EU's RoHS
Directive and REACh regulation, we have requested Full Materials Disclosures
(FMD) from our suppliers and the vast majority has supplied such data. As
general source of reference to identify substances typically used as
flame-retardants I recommend the IEC 62474 Declarable Substance List at
http://std.iec.ch/iec62474.

Kind regards,

Bernd