Chas, et al,          Yes, great responses; lot’s of experience out there.

               To answer your recent expression of your question we need to
understand that the world is not static; people move around plus come and go.

               Altho I get more that my share of ‘We have a product to ship
next week that needs CE, can you come in and do that for us’ (which has led to
some very interesting projects), most places that are working with all of this
regulatory web of issues understand that they need to meet the requirements and
expect the design teams to come up to speed on the details.  This is a moving
target; how many 10s of thousands of new engineers are graduated in the world
each year and sucked up into companies and are given significant assignments
with minimal supervision and training.

               This leads to one of my basic understandings as to what I do.
The collective members of the project teams are like a stew and the ‘cook’
(company leader at some level) stirs the pot regularly to make a better
outcome.  This provided opportunities for us knowledgeable folks to jump in and
do handholding and informal training in all of this as part of our work on a
project.  It’s usually satisfying if you like to help folks do their job well
(and they accept the help).

               Because of the addition of newbies regularly and the ever
changing requirements this is a never ending cycle (and opportunity).

               So, Chas, yes, the experienced folks are getting better and
better at this stuff and they have a high pass rate with the labs.  They don’t
stay in one place too long if they are very good.  Opportunity exists to help
the present team improve in what they do.

               Anyone want to replace me so I can really retire and get back to
more fishing?

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 1067

Albany, ORe  97321-0413

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow