What are you changing about the Y-caps? If it's just a new supplier and the caps conform to the required component standard, there is no degradation. Reducing he capacitance would be a degradation for EMC but not for safety.

Who determines the class is the person who has all the necessary data. The test house of surveillance authority check the decision.

On 2023-08-09 23:20, Brian Gregory wrote:
 Hello EMC experts,
A question came up today about filing new results to FCC for our legacy product. 1.  If the filing is only for FCC, then the lab providing the report does not need A2LA accreditation, 2.  If the filing is for a safety report, then the lab does need A2LA accreditation.
Have I got that right?
We're filing some small board changes, including Y-caps and can't figure out if this is a Class 2 permissible change, defined as:  " includes those modifications which degrade the performance characteristics as reported to the Commission" 3.  How or who determines if our change is Class 2 (degraded performance) or Class 1? We think the results are better, but it's not like we got uniformly more margin across the board.
Thanks!
Colorado Brian
720-450-4933

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
Instructions:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html (including how to