I didn’t say most labs are bad. Errors do happen and for me almost every lab I
have used has made a mistake. These errors are rare but do happen and the
effect of a single error can be very costly.

One lab made an especially bad mistake for a small company that engaged me that
cost the company a lot of money, has since improved their game by instituting
quality procedures they should have had anyway. The lab gave the company
passing data but in fact the plot looked like the technician forgot to plug the
antenna in, noise level of the instrumentation!

Based on that, the company signed a contract for price and delivery for a
million units of their  product. The ultimate fix needed was a different core
design of an inductor that cost them US $0.30. $300k is a lot of money for a
small company.

I can give many more examples. Usually the problem causes a product to fail
when it actually should have passed. I have many examples that happened to me
over the last 40 years in both private and commercial labs.

The errors are still rare, but do happen. Over enough testing a person, like
myself, will encounter an error with any given lab.

Of the errors I have encountered, three were the result of the staff in the lab
not being competent (over a span of 40 years), the rest were just simple
mistakes, maybe another dozen or so. Again, this was over decades, so rare, but
many millions of dollars were at stake in each case.

In two cases, the lab personnel became a bit belligerent when I gently
suggested they performed the test incorrectly. In both cases, the labs relented
and retested after we examined the test standard and they realized they were
testing incorrectly.

A lab client needs to keep an eye out to make sure such an error does not
happen to them.

On the other hand, I have seen a lot of great labs. One, in Silicon Valley, I
consider to be the best in the industry! But they did make one mistake on a
test for me years ago, minimal impact at the time and it can't happen again.

Doug Smith
Sent from my iPhone
IPhone: 408-858-4528
Office: 702-570-6108