On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 14:24 +0100, Javier Ros Ganuza wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 07:53 -0500, Jim Register wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 11:11 +0100, Javier Ros Ganuza wrote:
> > > Returning to my previous thread about HOMING. I did read the information
> > > pointed out here (section 5.4 of the manual), and there is some thing I
> > > can understand:
> > >
> > > What is index pulse?.
> > >
> > > I have brushless servos with quadrature encoders. Is the index pulse
> > > signal the one from the quadrature encoder, or is it a different signal
> > > (the one coming for hal sensors, something entirely different, or
> > > something that can be arbitrarily assigned within EMC, or..)???.
> >
> > Javier,
> >
> > The index pulse would come from the simulated encoder on the 631 servo
> > drive, on the X40 pins labeled "Z" and "/Z".
> >

> In our case, the Z or /Z are not simulated (I think :) ), the brushless
> have a quadrature encoder, and we are driving all to the motenc-100
> terminal board.

According to the 631 docs, your motor actually has a resolver instead of
an encoder; the 631 driver simulates the encoder signals.  That's just a
minor detail at the moment, but it may be important when you are
troubleshooting.  It sounds like a very nice arrangement.

> http://imac/parallel/images/argazkiak/DSCN1697.JPG shows the conection
> of the RJ45 standard ethernet cable to the board (left-up)

Oh, the X40 connector does not have the pairs on the same pins as an
RJ45 Ethernet connection.  If you used a stock Ethernet cable, GND
and /Z will be on one pair, Z and /A on another, and A and 5VI on a
third.  Only B and /B will be on a pair.  You need to wire the RJ45 end
so that each signal has its own pair, or the twisted pairs in the cable
will actually work against you.

> And in http://imac/parallel/images/argazkiak/DSCN1691.JPG you can see
> the Oposite end of the same RJ45 cable, conected to the X40 input.

Unfortunately, those links take me to the Apple(tm) website, but I did
find the images on your website.

(The cabinet looks nice, by the way.)

> We have configured the 631 servo to output quadrature signals from X40.
>

> So if I got the idea:
>
> We can use index pulse, and the index pulse is taken from the Z
> and/or /Z signals that is being fed to the card. So activating index
> pulse in the HOMING configuration will work (in fact it works but we
> didn't  known if index pulse was actually being used) using index
> pulse.???

Yes, the Motenc driver supports the index pulse in EMC2.1

> So in general (just for curiosity), index pulse is always taken from Z
> and/or /Z signal from quadrature encoder???

Correct.

> Many thanks
>
> Javier Ros

You are welcome.