Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Wille Padnos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<snip>
> You're probably thinking of the Griffin PowerMate:
> <http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/>
> It used to be available in black as well, but it looks like it isn't any
> more.
>
> Although it's probably a quadrature encoder inside, I think it's only 32
> counts per rev (at 4x).  I believe that X (Linux) gets events like a
> keyboard, so it may work with the input driver, possibly after some
> modifications.  It has 5 basic operations: rotation CW or CCW, button
> press (and release of course), and rotation CW/CCW while the button is
> pressed.  It's not RT in any case, so it could be used with halui or a
> GUI, but not as a jogwheel as Andy was wanting.

and I believe the "encoder" is metallic contacts.

If you want a very controllable movement for jogging to a "touch", rather
than one click is a thou, for manual machining it is worth looking at:

http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttlexpress.htm

5 buttons (axis selection?), a spring loaded ring with 7 steps each side of
centre (continuous jog at 7 different speeds - make them geometric ratios),
a centre "jog" wheel (coarse steps but fine for the last few thou).

I removed my "real" MPG from a mill in preference for this $60 device . You
can whip from and to end of end to end of an axis at full rapid but slow to
a kissing touch with great safety. IMO a case of not having to emulate how
handles connected to the old racks of TTL controlled machines :=)

Not done it with EMC2, but device is a well behaved HID (Vendor Id 0x0B33,
Product Id 0x33) so it might not be too hard. Don't bother with the driver
that comes with it (Win only I think anyhow). I would send someone $60 to
buy a wheel if that got us a HAL module for it (seriously).

John Prentice

ps its brother Shuttle Pro has more buttons but I don't think I would
remember which does what and no easy way to label them :=)