On Friday 09 March 2007, Jon Elson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Everybody in the neighborhood now has a dsl modem with wifi in it and
>>apparently enabled, I can see anywhere from 2 to 4 with a pocket
>> sniffer here.  Not trusting to have a wifi on my side of the firewall,
>> I took the chicken way out and ran a hunk of cat5 to the shop, hanging
>> overhead across the yard.  Std, out of the un-real box indoor cable
>> from Belden, its been hanging there for 3 years now, good as ever the
>> last time I used adept to update that box.  If the weather does kill
>> it, well, cat5 is cheap, at least for me.
>
>This is really dangerous!  You must not have lightning like we do!  I
>have had the
>ethernet port blown out on a computer INSIDE my house.  There was about
>50 feet
>of cable, mostly in the walls, between the hub and the computer.  No way
>would this
>last long here in MO, with several hundred feet hanging overhead.  Most
>likely, whatever
>was at both ends would be reduced to a smoldering hulk the first time a
>storm came
>over.
>
>Jon

My day may well be coming I suppose. I did consider that when I strung it,
but both ends of the system are bonded quite well to ground at the
powerline interface.

Here in the coyote.den, this whole room full of electronics all runs on a
single wall plug, and all the phone lines etc go through a huge surge
arrester on the wall, which is itself plugged into a 1500VA UPS.  Having
lost a couple of modems to lightning surges, I was bound and determined
to make this whole room bounce in unison if a nearby strikes EMP induced
a jolt.  In 6 years now I've had NO further surge problems just because
everything is bonded to that single plug, plugged into one duplex that I
opened up when I set this up, and made sure all its joints clear back to
the service were well soldered.  The situation at the shop is similar,
its about 65 or 70 feet from the 200 amp service which was new 3 years
ago and whose grounding exceeds the NEC requirements by quite a bit.
There at the shop, the last 10 feet of the buried 6/3 cable are inside a
piece of 1" emt, and that emt is welded to the breaker box in the shop so
it has a a decent real earth ground too.  All the fancy stuff out there
is plugged into a 6 plex plugged into one duplex, which as a 300 joule
surge arrester in it. Again, the single common point for it to bounce
from, all in unison even if its several thousand volts of bounce.

I could get tagged by the open loop between the ground and the about 8
feet height of the cable at midpoint of a 45 foot span.  Its been pretty
noisy here several times, including one strike about 2 years ago that hit
the top of the pole holding my service transformer, it was blinding and
the crack was only a few milliseconds after the flash.  They had to come
and replace the street light fixture about 70 feet from my house, but I
was home free. And I believe all 8 ports on my switch are still good
after about 4 years of service.  That cable is plugged into it.

That thumping sort of a noise you hear Jon?  That's me, knocking on
wood. :)  I do intend to go for an 802-11 connection eventually, but its
going to have to be a heck of a lot more secure than the WEP keys my
WAP-11 uses.

--
Cheers, Gene
User was distributing pornography on server; system seized by FBI.