Seb

>> if none of these are what you want then yes you need to write your own
>> VHDL.
>
> Yes, that's what I need to do..
>
> I downloaded the Xilinx developer code. Wow - there's a lot of it, but
> it seems it caters for all of their products. Can anyone help kickstart
> my vhdl tinkering by a quick description of the development process to
> create the .bit files that you load onto the Xilinx chip on the Mesa
> board?

That is a tall order and I am afraid I am only going to give a superficial
idea - I hope it is not insulting.

You essentially provide two inputs. A source file of the hardware
description language and a set of "constraints". In the simplest form these
constraints are the mapping of HDL signal names onto physical pins of the
chip and defining the electrical characteristics (e.g. LSTTL, pullups etc.)
of the pins.

The Xilinix ISE automates the workflow when you have this data by double
clicking on any stage in the Process pane..

I have uploaded a short movie of this at

www.castlewoodconsultants.com/Misc/ISEWorkflow.wmv

I am afraid I use Verilog as HDL so cannot give you a VHDL example with
which to play.

John Prentice