Seb James wrote:

>> If someone would write a updated driver, I have a 12 axis servo
>> configuration
>> with servo outputs overlaid on I/O (so if they are not enabled you have 72
>> bit
>> of I/O). This is not a fancy as John K's, but the pinout definition is just
>> little section that wires the servo pins to I/O pins so the pinout is easy
>> change plus, if you can live with the existing pinout, it can easily be
>> programmed to do what you want by just enabling 2 servo axis (leaving 60
>> pins
>> as I/O)
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Does this "configuration with servo outputs overlaid on I/O" place any
> limit on the rate at which a pwm can be generated? Not that I am too
> worried about this, so long as these outputs can drive your 7I33 board.
>
> What do you mean by an updated driver? What changes need to be made in
> the driver? Is the work that John K has been doing on a new driver going
> to fit the bill?

I'm working on a driver that will adapt itself to whatever is in the
FPGA (within reason), and automatically export the right HAL pins and
functions.  The existing configurations (hostmotX-X) rely on the driver
knowing exactly what is in the FPGA, hence the need to revise the driver
whenever you come up with a new FPGA configuration.

> When you say "this is not as fancy as John K's" do you mean that your
> configuration is not as fancy as the hostmotXXX configurations which are
> in the emc2 cvs trunk?

No.  My stuff is intended to go beyond (and maybe replace) the hostmot
configs.  If I understand Peter correctly, his new config would be
something like "hostmot5-12".  It would probably work with minor
revisions to the existing driver.

Seb also wrote:

 > I've been having a look at the emc2-trunk source tree. Is your new
 > stuff going in emc2-trunk/src/hal/drivers/mesa_5i2x?

Yes.

Regards,

John Kasunich