First of all, thank you developers for EMC and thank you John Kasunich
for getting the m5i20 threading working.  I loaded the pre 2.1.7 version
and built it on my pc, the threading worked first try, I only had to
change my old latch-index to index-enable and then tested it out, I now
have a lathe pawn with threads!

In wondering about setting up to cut threads, I thought perhaps I could
set my threading tool as if it came to a shap 0 radius point and thread
the full depth from that imaginary point.  I drew a 60 degree point in
AutoCad, drew a line through the point, then applied different radius'
to the point.  For a .008" radius cutting tool, there was .008" between
the tool tip and the line representing point, for a .0156" radius, there
was .0156" between the tool tip and "point", and so on.  The tool tip
radius equaled the gap between the peak of the radius and the 0 radius
point.

So, I was wondering if I used a threading tool with a .008" radius,
could I take a light test cut, measure the radius, add .008" set that as
the X position of that tool, then thread to the full thread depth.  This
would put the imaginary 0" radius point at the full thread depth and
actual point .008" out from the full thread depth.  This procedure could
be adapted for whatever tool tip radius you were using.  If a test cut
wasn't practical, you could use feeler gages to set the tool, as long as
you knew the tool tip radius.  Or perhaps there is an easier way I'm
overlooking :-)

I plan to try this out, perhaps I could learn how to measure with the 3
wire method and see how close the threads came out.  My goal is to come
up with a method that will give me the right thread depth with minimal
trial and error.  I have a project of machining a back plate for an L&W
dividing head, the thread is 2-1/4 10tpi.  I dread test fitting the
dividing head to the back plate!

Roger Neal