----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kasunich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<snip>
> Are you sure you really need to close the speed loop?  Or would it be
> sufficient to simply send the appropriate command to the VFD?
> "Appropriate" means that it has been corrected for the gear ratio for
> whatever gear you are in at the moment.

I probably don't need closed loop spindle speed control, I just thought
since I have the encoder, and two unused axis available, why not!  After
spending some time reading the hal documentation tonight I got an idea
that might work.  What if I used HAL's integrator with commanded_speed -
feedback_speed_IN with limits of something like 500rpm/sec acel and
300rpm/sec decel.  I think that would command my spindle drive to
accelerate at 500rpm per second until it reached the commanded rpm and
decelerate at 300rpm/sec until it reached the lowered commanded rpm.
Any thoughts?  Would this work?

Other thought is to use the multiplexer and select a gear ratio that
would best fit the desired SFM.

Thanks!

Roger Neal