RogerN wrote:
> For the 850 RPM gear range, I need 2-3 second decel, for the 2800 RPM, I
> need around 8 second decel.  I could use a drive input to select between
> motor 1 and motor 2 and have different decel times for the motors.
>
> Thanks
> Roger Neal

Are you sure you really need to close the speed loop?  Or would it be
sufficient to simply send the appropriate command to the VFD?
"Appropriate" means that it has been corrected for the gear ratio for
whatever gear you are in at the moment.

If you can mount a switch to your machine that is actuated in one gear
(ideal), or if you are willing to click a GUI button to tell the system
what gear you are in, its not that difficult in HAL to generate two
speed commands, one for each gear, and route the appropriate one to the
DAC and then to the VFD.

That's what we do for the Mazak at the CNC workshop, but we went one
step farther there - we have classicladder logic that actually does the
gear change sequence.  The Mazak has hydraulics to shift the gears, and
prox switches to tell what position the shifter is in.  The HAL/Ladder
config we have automatically slows the motor to 15 RPM, then shifts to
neutral, shifts into the new gear, and accels to the final speed.

Regards,

John Kasunich