[TRAJ]AXES should probably be set to 8.  Here's the explanation from the
documentation:
    One more than the number of the highest joint number in the system.
    For an XYZ machine, the joints are numbered 0, 1 and 2; in this case
    AXES should be 3. For an XYUV machine using ``trivial kinematics'',
    the V joint is numbered 8 and therefore AXES should be 9. For a
    machine with nontrivial kinematics (e.g., scarakins) this will
    generally be the number of controlled joints.
        http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini_config/index.html#hue432

In the .hal files, the number of "stepgen" should be 4:
    loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0,0
and the correspondance between axis numbers, axis names, and stepgen
numbers will be:
    Axis Name   Axis #  Stepgen #
    X           0       0
    Y           1       1
    U           6       2
    V           7       3

Thanks for jumping in and trying out this new & only sparsely documented
feature.  I hope we can help you get it working.

Jeff