Gene Heskett wrote:

> Understood.  In playing tonight with 25 volts & probably 100 ma average, I
> found that spinning the electrode at around 1k rpms seemed to add enough
> agitation to the oil that I could use it all up and go about 30 thou before I
> had to vacuum it out and refresh it, with about 1/2 cc in a modeling clay dam
> around the hole.  A 100 rpm spin would short in just a thou or two.
That is way too low a current for any serious metal removal.
You want at least an amp, and it will still be really slow.  You
need an insanely fine feed.  I have .000025" per encoder count
on the Z axis of my mill, so I could get a pretty slow feed,
about .0001" every second.  It still took all evening to burn
out one tap.  I think with a hollow electrode with a drip feed
scheme through the electrode it would go a lot faster.

The alum-tap is a really light fluid, maybe just a little higher
viscosity that water.  It worked MUCH better than #20 oil, which
I also tried.  Try a couple different fluids to see what works
best, it makes a big difference.

Jon