Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Jon Elson wrote:
   I think with a hollow electrode with a drip feed
>>scheme through the electrode it would go a lot faster.
>

> Theres always that 'yabut' Jon, in this case yabut where can I find one of
> those? :)

Hollow electrode?  I get various bits of brass tubing at some
electronic/hobby supply places, I think all the hobby shops have
these racks of aluminum and brass materials (sheet, wire, tube,
square tube, airfoil-shape and wire).

> I have some other stuff too besides the fuel oil (#1 I think), paint thinners
> etc could be tried too.  Aluma-tap would be a foreign language here in WV
> unless I ordered it from someplace I suspect...

You might try WD-40 or LPS 1, might be similar substance.
> Q?  Does distilled water carbon up like the hydrocarbons do when doing this?

Where would the carbon come from?  And, that black stuff is
probably not primarily carbon, but microscopic metal bits.
> I ordered a pair of those transformers I posted the link to a bit ago, so I
> can go as high as 6 amps short circuit with around 77 volts peak open
> circuit.  But I can't find any suitable electro's for filtering though.
> Other than making the sizzle buzz a bit, is upstream filtering of any
> advantage?  My discharge cap is a 10 uf, 1.5kv rated square can, presumably
> oil filled.  Even at this voltage, if exposed it will spit sparklers 2".

I think a modest filter right at the rectifier, before the
resistor, is a good thing, but may not be necessary.  When I got
everything perfect (a rare occurance) I got a very high rate of
discharges, like bacon sizzling, and very fast progress.
Everything usually shorted out soon after due to the buildup of
metal dust.
> I was having emc lower the electrode at about .0012"/min.  Steppers, had to
> look very close to see it moving at all.  My z divider is 16,000, a wee bit
> coarser than yours, but the real speeds are similar.
With 100 mA, .0012 IPM is real good.  If you can get a couple
amps average, you should get .025 IPM.  3/4" at .025 IPM is 30
minutes!  Not bad to get the tap out of the hole.

Jon