On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 18:22 -0400, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
... snip

> Kirk,
>
> It might be good to add a "closed loop" column.  That probably used to
> be implicit in the "stepper vs. servo" column, but it isn't any more
> because of step-to-servo drives like the Geckos.

It's not my table, so I was thinking that I should stay within the
structure of the current table, but I can bring it up with Jerry.

> Also, if you could add
> web support/wiki to the support column, that would be good.

Just changed it on my proposed table. Better?

> There's a
> typo in the max steps/sec column - the 300 should be 300k (and I think
> you can get to 12 MHz with the Mesa cards, but don't quote me on that).

Opps. Yes, 300k was intended.

> I wonder if re-wording that column would make sense anyway.  The 20k
> number is for just about anything you could run Linux on - a P2-233
> could probably do that.  Most modern systems (less than 3-5 years old)
> should be able to get to 30 KHz with 2.1.7, or 60 KHz with double-freq
> in 2.2.

Changed to:
"Dependant on signal generator hardware; ~20 to 35k/s w/parport,
~300k+ typical hardware, and higher"

Also changed:
"Both simultaneously,
closed loop optional for steppers"

"Rigid tapping and multi-axis threading with proper hardware"

> It's hard to represent everything in 1 square inch in an HTML table ;)

My thinking was that the information could be better, hopefully good
enough, but never perfect.

... snip