I guess the direction (right turn clyde) of this thread in combination
with the 20k that was suggested on the web site leads me to jump in.  I
tested a Semperon pc recently to see how many pulses I could get to.  It
was able to get to a bit more than 70k.

I ran a motor with it.  The drive was a Centent 10 microstep running
with about 80 volts in.  Motor was a NEMA 34 from Keling with nothing
hooked to it.  The system was able to produce a bit more than 70k PPS.
I've got to say that the motor exhibited significant loss of torque at
that speed -- about 2100 RPM.  I wouldn't want to run a machine tool
using steppers with speeds like that.

But to make matters worse I switched to a Gecko 210 and 5 microsteps and
was able, with real long accel and decel periods to get the motor to
more than 4200 RPM.  At those speeds it took nearly a minute to stop the
motor without loosing steps.

The PC was running a full EMC2 with the mini interface and most of the
non emc stuff like firefox and gimp showed significant slowdowns.  I ran
these to prove I could while running the motor.  I did not get any
reported real time errors and heard no changes in motor noise during the
testing.

It was fun but I can't imagine the value of that high a step rate unless
one were running step and direction into a servo system.

Rayh