Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Actually, there's a better way :)  (getting rid of the solder is one of
> the pains of replacing those connectors.)
>
> There are hundreds of kinds of pins for bed-o-nails fixtures, including
> ones that are meant to toich pins (cup varieties), ones that are meant
> to touch bare metal areas like SMT pads (castle-type, I think), and ones
> that are meant to poke into empty holes, which are basically cone shaped.
>
> These are also available in sockets - you populate the socket into the
> text fixture board, and then you can choose which type of pin to insert,
> and can repair a bent/broken probe pin by just putting in a new one.
>
> At my old company, test jig repairs were basically eliminated when we
> went to the socketed probe pins.
Yes, I have cup-type socketed probe pins from Interconnect
Solutions, I think, in my test unit.  I could probably replace
the pins with different types, but there are only certain type
of pins that fit each size socket.  These are some fairly big
holes in the board, so I might not be able to get big enough
pins for the empty holes.  But, probably there is something that
would work.  But, I'd have to change 60 contacts to swap the
fixture over from populated to non-populated terminals strips.
That could also get to be a drag.

Jon