On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 00:17 -0400, Jim Coleman wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Jon Elson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Kirk Wallace wrote:
>         > Thanks again Jon and Chris. What should have been obvious
>         turns
... snip
>         interference sources like motor-VFD cables and any other that
>         might have 120 or 240 VAC on them.
>
>         Jon
>

> in my hitachi seiki manual, it says that twisted pair wire should be
> used for the encoders.  not sure if this would help eliminate noise in
> your situation or not.

I used the existing cable which has four shielded twisted pairs. I have
one pair for each A, B, I and power.

> also what about an inductor or capacitor at the encoder in its power
> line to help smooth any noise introduced there?

I have a short run between my encoder and a differential driver. I am
wondering about whether I should have some sort of filters on the high
impedance inputs of the driver. The thing is that with 50k pulses at
3,000 I'm not sure how much of a filter I could use.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe